Pages

Thursday 12 September 2013

United Kingdom FC

Following another poor international perfomance by the home nations, the question of a GB or UK combined team has been offered as a possible solution.
So I thought I would chuck in my two pence worth, If this did happen, apart from addressing the issues of management and coaches etc and the challenge of getting FIFA/UEFA to accept the team, would it make that much of a difference? 

Below is a possible UK eleven from England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland (I would have preferred Luxembourg but those lads have day jobs to contend with). So Here Goes,

Goalkeeper - David Marshall (Scot)

Now the obvious choice is Joe Hart and in my opinion he is consistantly better than the other home nations keepers, but David Marshall has had a fantastic start to the season with Cardiff and if Rickie Lambert can make it into the England team, then David Marshall can certainly play here.

Left Back - Baines (Eng) or Cole (Eng) 

No brainer England happen to have in my opinion two of the best left backs in the world

Centre Back - Ashley Williams (Wales)

Performed outstandingly well for Swansea last EPL season and currently better than terry/ferdinand

Centre Back - Jonny Evans (Nire)

Jonny gets in because he is the only Northern Ireland player that would get near this squad so thought I would give him a game.

Right Back - Glen Johnson (Eng) 

This is a reluctant choice mainly because I think he is shockingly poor when defending, however he is better than Kyle walker and much better than any other home nation offerings.

Right Mid - theo Walcott (Eng)

One of these days this lad will click and perform regularly for England, just hope he isn't another John Barnes!!

CM - Jack Wilshere - (Eng)

Still a bit hit and miss in an England shirt but there is definate ability in this lad, needs to be more consistant.

CM - Aaron Ramsey (Wales)

much maligned in a Arsenal shirt last season Ramsey has been a stand out performer this, he gets in, in front of the likes of Lampard and Gerrard, simply because they are too old oh and I don't like them.

LM - Gareth Bale (Wales)

Ahh the sole reason for having a UK XI  one of the main things the current England team is missing - He is one of a few home nation players who can be described as a world beater

ST - Wayne Rooney (Eng)

Again can put in a world class performance and no other home nations striker gets near him

ST - Jermaine Defoe (Eng)

I genuinely believe Defoe has been grossly under used by England and his club, he is a natural goal scorer, deserves a lengthy run in the team.

So that's it, that's my UK XI let me know your's. I must admit I struggled to come up with a combined team, but for one or two obvious exceptions, I don't think many players from Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland would get into the England squad.

That is a very sad state of affairs for British football especially as this England team have only managed to beat Moldova and San Marino during the current campaign.

Might check out my family tree and try and find some Brazilian descendants....



No comments:

Post a Comment